Sunday, April 24, 2011

FAQs about Peace Corps

Now that I've made the official announcement about my application to become a Peace Corps volunteer, I've been getting a lot of questions about the logistics of the whole process-- which is understandable, because it's a crazy leap for me to be making, and also a program that a lot of people are not very familiar with. Since I seem to be getting asked the same questions over and over, I thought I'd post some FAQs here:


Q: When do you find out if you've gotten in?
A: I don't know, but I am hoping/expecting that I'll know in June. In a nutshell, the whole process works like this: you apply and interview with a local recruiter; if they think you'd be a good candidate, they nominate you to the national office. Then the national office sends you the dreaded medical packet, which takes several weeks and lots of time and money (in doctor fees) to complete. Once you submit that and the medical office reviews it, they'll often ask for more information or lab results before they can medically clear you. And your file doesn't even get sent to the placement office until you are medically cleared. My status now is that I am nearly done with the medical part-- they sent me to get a test to submit updated results, and once I get the results from that I'm hoping that I will be medically cleared. And once that happens, I am hopeful that the placement office will review my file and invite shortly thereafter.


Q: Do you know where you're going if you do get accepted? How do they pick which country to send you to?
A: You don't have any control over which country you're invited to serve in, although you can certainly list your preferences. I listed sub-Saharan Africa (Francophone countries) as my first choice, and the Caribbean as my second choice. There are so many factors involved with which country a volunteer might be placed in, such as your skills and availability, a particular project that they might need volunteers for and when that starts, etc-- plus they also need to factor in any medical issues or religious concerns. (For example, I said that I didn't want to go to any country where I would feel uncomfortable saying that I was Jewish-- so that rules out Jordan and northern Africa.) They also look for language skills, notably French and Spanish, so because I have a substantial background in French I'm hopeful that they will listen to my request and place me in a French-speaking African country. Looking at the information I see online, I am guessing that this could put me in Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Benin, or others. But again, there's no guarantee. 


Q: Do you know what kind of work you'd be doing?
A: I don't, but I've been nominated as a business volunteer. Just like the location, there's no guarantee that if I'm invited it will be for a business role, but I hope that's what I get to do. I'm guessing that kind of role could mean advising local community members on how to successfully start and run a small business.


Q: If you're applying for a fall program, why are you leaving New York in May?
A: This is a question with a complex answer, because there are many reasons why I am leaving right now. First of all, my lease is up at the end of April, and if I were to stay it would be tough to break the lease (also, they are raising my rent!) Second, because Peace Corps often gives only 1-2 months notice pre-departure if they invite you to serve, I thought it would be easiest to pack up my NYC life now and move in with my parents while I wait to hear from PC. That way, I can be a little more nimble if I get the invitation, and not have to deal with packing up wineglasses and cancelling my gym membership while also planning an overseas move! Third, I also feel like spending the summer in Vermont will be a good segue for me if I am to be living, most likely, in a small village somewhere halfway across the world. Going straight from NYC to that would probably be too much of a shock to my system, but a summer in Vermont will allow me a bit of a breather and a way to take a step back from the hectic and privileged lifestyle I am lucky enough to lead in NYC. Fourth, and final, is money. I need to seriously save money if I am going to be out of the job market for 2 years, and although Peace Corps does pay you a small amount while you are a volunteer, it's basically just enough to buy your groceries. I want to be able to have some savings to use for traveling as well as have something to fall back on upon my return. 


Q: Can we get drinks/dinner/coffee before you leave?
A: I'm running around like a madwoman right now as I finish packing (and I am slowly being closed in upon by the towers of boxes in my tiny apartment), so I am pretty slammed up until I actually move on Saturday. However, I will be back in NYC throughout the summer, in May, June and most likely July, so let's go out then!



2 comments:

  1. hey emily - thanks for sharing this info. so exciting! as always, wishing you the best with this and excited to hear more!
    -allison d

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.