Monday, February 13, 2012

"Where aaaare you going? The Peace Corps?"

Does everyone know that there was a fairly terrible 80's comedy movie made about the Peace Corps? It is called "Volunteers". Set in the early 60s, it stars Tom Hanks as a rich-boy Yale student whose dad won't pay his gambling debts, so he gives his roommate his car in exchange for taking his place on a Peace Corps assignment to Thailand. Basically, he shows up at the airport and jumps on the plane, which should be a laughable notion to any of my fellow volunteers who have experienced the long, drawn-out agony of the application process. I stumbled upon it serendipitously when browsing the movies that HBO had on offer this past fall. Also in the cast are Rita Wilson, John Candy, and the guy who played Long Duck Dong in "Sixteen Candles"!

Here's the trailer. When I'm in Madagascar I expect to be like Rita Wilson at the 2:16 mark, except holding a lemur instead of a monkey.


The best part of the movie is at the very beginning when Tom Hanks brings his snobby date back to his room, and she looks at his roommate and says in the bitchiest, most condescending tone: "Where aaaaare you going? The [snort] Peace Corps?" This is my new slogan.

2 comments:

  1. I know you are joking about holding a lemur because it's illegal to pet lemurs in Madagascar.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.