When I first got to Madagascar a lot of current volunteers
raved glowingly about the wonders of frip shopping-- we even heard legend of
Marc Jacobs boots bought at a frip stall in Tana—but I wasn’t particularly
interested in it. After all, I didn’t need any clothes, and I wasn’t that
excited by the prospect of digging around for stuff. But something happened
last week, and suddenly my eyes opened to the wonders that can be found in the
frip stalls. I was walking around Farafangana, my banking town, with my friend
Erica. We strolled past the frip stalls and I just happened to glance at one
that featured colorful tablecloths and home linens. I spotted a gorgeous piece
of printed fabric—white, with blue and brown birds and flowers—and I went for a
closer look. It was clean, very high quality, and in perfect condition expect
for a small hole that had been already carefully stitched up. Upon closer
inspection, I noticed the selvage (the edge of the fabric) indicated that the
print was called “Hirondelles” and that it was printed by hand in France.
Something about this fabric caught my eye, so I bought it, and yesterday I
stitched it up into lovely curtains for my bedroom.
That piece of fabric started my frip addiction because it
opened my eyes to some of the amazing finds that are out there. Since then I
have found some more great French stuff: gorgeous embroidered hand towels (with
only one tiny stain), a St James striped t-shirt (these retail in the US for
over $100), a pretty floral dress from Promod, 2 cute tank tops, a pair of cool blue
houndstooth chef pants that wouldn’t look out of place going to brunch in
Brooklyn, and a Tintin pillowcase! Plus, a beautiful printed silk wrap skirt from Nepal. All of these things cost between 1,000
Ariary and 3,000 Ariary (50 cents to $1.50). I had to stop myself from buying
an Asterix & Obelix duvet cover because a) they were asking 7,000 Ariary
and refused to budget on the price, and b) I would really be just buying it for
novelty, not practicality.
I’m not sure why I was indifferent to frip shopping for so
long—after all, I absolutely love hunting for cool finds in used clothing
stores back home in the US. One thing I noticed is that it’s more fun to do it
with other people, and so when a couple of fellow volunteers came to visit my
site last week, it finally gave me the impetus to explore the frip stalls in my
town.
For Malagasy people, frip shopping is less about being fashionable
and more about just buying clothing for cheap. So you see people walking around
wearing the most random t-shirts, most of them printed with some sort of
English writing, and they more often than not have no clue what they are
wearing. It can create funny moments when you see someone wearing a shirt from
your hometown high school sports team (this happened to a friend of mine), and
you try to explain it to the person. Side note: there’s an episode of “How to Make it in America”
when they’re looking for a ton of cheap t-shirts to screenprint on, and the
main guy (cute one, forget his name) befriends a girl who works at Beacon’s
Closet, who shows him a dock where literal tons of unsold old t-shirts are being
prepped to get sent overseas. I think of that episode whenever I see a frip
seller unpacking mounds of random American castoff t-shirts. So if you’ve ever
wondered what happens to that shirt you donate to Goodwill that they never sell,
now you know.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.