Time, and the rate of its passage, is an oft-discussed and
frequently contemplated idea amongst Peace Corps volunteers. As much as we sometimes complain about
time going too slowly, a great many of us lament its too-quick passing as the
end of our service draws nearer. And in those quiet days of daily life at site
when we’ve danced into the rhythm of existence here, we often stop thinking
about how long we’ve been in Madagascar, or how long we have left, because where
we live simply feels like home. But then sometimes, something hits you, and all
of a sudden—BAM!-- you realize that a year has passed.
I’ve just turned the page on my calendar to April, which
means that I’ve been in this country for 13 months, and I’ve been at my site
for 11 of those months. I was in Tana when my stage-mates and I reached our
one-year anniversary in March, but that milestone didn’t really hit me until
recently, when I arrived home to Vangaindrano after taking a vacation to India.
I stepped off the taxi-brousse and
smelled the fruit that the sellers had laid out on blankets on the side of the
road, and in an instant, the sticky-sweet smell of oranges sitting in the
baking sun gave me a nostalgic whiplash to last May, because the scent instantly
reminded me of Farafangana and my arrival in the Sud Est. And that’s when I truly realized: I’ve been
here a year.
Thinking about how much time I’ve spent here and how much I
have left is an exercise that’s certain to bring about a complex brew of
conflicting emotions. On one hand, I get excited when I think that I only have
one year until I get to go home to America, see my friends and family, and
drink New York City tap water. But on the other hand, I also start to get
anxious about having enough time to do everything before I leave. Will one year
be enough to make enough progress on my work project so that I can feel content
about leaving next April? Will I have time to start an English club and work on
a library for my town? And outside of work projects, will I be able to see all
the things I want to see in Madagascar, and have all the experiences I want to
before I go? As much as I have seen and have done already, there are so many
more places that I want to visit and areas in my region that I want to explore.
Time is ticking away just as quickly as ever, even on days when I don’t want it
to.
And not only is time ticking away for me, the Peace Corps
clock is now running out for my friends who came to Madagascar in March 2011,
one year before me. When I arrived last year I always envisioned this stage of volunteers having one year
left—until I realized last fall that no, if I had less than two years left,
then they had less than a year left as well. This group of volunteers is one
that I feel a very close kinship with, because for me, their friendship,
guidance, and assistance shaped my experiences in my first year more than
anything or anyone else. A great many of them were volunteer trainers for my
stage, and so I got to know them very early on. And since being in the Sud Est,
the six of them in my region have shaped some of my favorite memories of my
service: bike-exploring and discovering the beach in my region with Matt,
relaxed Manakara weekends cooking and watching movies with Emily, long afternoon
talks with Maria at her house, night-swimming in Mananjary with Bryan, being
entertained on long taxi-brousse rides by Al, and bridge adventures (he’ll know
what this means) with Paul. And so to think of them leaving the Sud Est, as
they are all doing today, is almost unfathomable to me. What is Farafangana
without Maria? Or Manombo without Paul? I can’t picture going to work in the
Coldis office in Manakara without stopping by Matt’s house in the compound to
say hello, just as I also can’t believe that I won’t get to go to Gourmandise
for breakfast with Emily the next time I am in Manakara. At my last lunch with
Maria I unsuccessfully fought back tears when I told her how much I would miss
biking down the main road in Fara towards her house, and the happy feeling I’d
get when I’d see her door open and know that my friend was at home. And what I
realized last week is that as Peace Corps volunteers, we strongly associate the
places we know and love in this country with our friends who live there—and then
when they leave, as we all will do at some point, it’s almost like the heart
has been ripped out of the town.
On Thursday I paid one last visit to Paul in Manombo (about
45km north of Vangaindrano) to celebrate his two years of service and
participate in the going-away fety
that his town was throwing for him. When I coasted down the hill into town on
my bike and saw him, as I often do, standing on the road checking for cell
phone service, I realized that it would be the last time that I’d see my
friend’s Scandanavian-esque blond head on the side of the road. I’d never be
able to wave at him from a taxi-brousse window again, or share a brousse home
from Farafangana. But as sad as that was to think about, it was wonderfully bittersweet
to be part of Manombo’s celebration for him and honor the work he has done
here. I can only hope to be fêted as
Paul was when I leave next year, and seeing what it’s like to say goodbye to
your town as a volunteer made me realize for the first time what a difficult
time I’ll have when I leave next year.
During my visit, Paul
jokingly said to me that we should continue to call Manombo ‘Paul’s site’
even though he will be replaced by a new volunteer in May. We laughed about it,
but on my ride home I realized that there’s no way that I will be able to disassociate
that town from him, nor can I do so for any of my friends who are leaving. So I
say this to all of my volunteer friends who are finishing their service and
heading home this month : you may be leaving Madagascar’s soil, but to
both your Peace Corps and Malagasy friends, you will always be a part of this
place. And next year, when it’s my turn to head home, my wish is that I’ll be
thought of the same way.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.