So one of the most striking things I’ve noticed about life in
Madagascar is just how dissimilar shopping is here. There is no such thing as
“stocking up”, for many reasons: one, because people’s income varies and is
often based on what they sold in the market that day; and two, because most
people have no room to store anything anyway, even if they did have the money
to buy a large quantity of something. Simply put, most people just can’t buy
any more than exactly what they need right now. So if it’s time to wash your
hair, you buy an individual packet of shampoo. And if it’s time to do laundry,
you buy a single-serving packet of laundry soap.
This type of small-scale consumer behavior is actually big
business. I’ve just finished reading the excellent book “Stealth of Nations:The Global Rise of the Informal Economy” by Robert Neuwirth,
and in one of the chapters he talks about how Procter & Gamble realized
that if they wanted to market items like shampoo or laundry soap to lower-income
consumers in Latin America, who typically buy items in single-use packets from
small local stores, they’d have to shift away from their traditional model of
producing items in rather large quantities, for consumers who’d buy them at
traditional retailers like Wal-Mart or Target. P&G realized the value of
selling their products to this different type of consumer, and started
producing their items in smaller-quantity packaging. They then get distributed,
indirectly through a multi-layered supply chain, to tiny neighborhood stores
all over the world. The result has been a massive increase in their revenues and
reach across the globe, but especially in Latin America.
Unfortunately, even if this single-serving packaging is a
profit generator for companies like P&G, all this plastic packaging is
incredibly wasteful and detrimental to the environment. In Madagascar, the
brand of laundry soap that most people use is Klin (pronounced “clean”), and
these discarded rainbow-striped packets are ubiquitous all over the country—but
I’ve noticed them especially in my town. Litter is a problem as is, because
there’s no municipal garbage pickup and people generally just throw trash
everywhere, which is incredibly depressing in a country as beautiful as
Madagascar. But Klin packets just seem to be everywhere, especially around water sources where people manasa lamba (wash clothes.) There’s a
pretty little beach in Farafangana, my banking town, which is actually
separated from the ocean by a freshwater river, where many people wash their
clothes. And on this nice little beach are dozens upon dozens of discarded
plastic Klin packets, littered throughout the sand, remnants of numerous
laundry days. It would be a fool’s errand to try and pick them all up. From an
environmental standpoint, it’s incredibly disheartening.
| Detergent packets for sale in my neighbor's epicerie... |
| ... and then scattered all over the ground. Not exactly 'clean'. |
Recently I wondered to myself if there is a way that people
could be encouraged to not buy the single packets of soap that lead to such
extensive littering. Because most people probably won’t see an increase in
income that will allow them to buy detergent in bulk, there would have to be
another way to achieve this. What if the little shops selling packets of Klin
could instead buy a large sack of it, and people could buy their laundry soap
by the scoopful? They’d have to bring their washtub or a reusable container to
the mpivarotra (shopkeeper). But if
it was cheaper to buy a scoop of detergent than to buy the same amount of detergent
in a plastic packet, the economic incentive would be there to alter their
choice. And shoppers here are already used to buying items such as rice, beans,
pasta, and other dry goods out of large bulk bags, so the behavior change
wouldn’t be too drastic. Looking at the detergent itself, which is no doubt
extremely chemical derived and petroleum-based (as are most commercial laundry
detergents), I wonder if a company in Madagascar could produce an alternative,
more ecologically-friendly detergent based on coconut oil (coconuts are
everywhere here) that would also be cheaper than Klin, which is imported from
Indonesia. If a soap was produced locally, valuable jobs would be created, and
if it was biodegradable, there would be fewer chemicals getting dumped into the
rivers in which people do laundry, and if this soap was sold in bulk, there
would be less plastic trash littering this beautiful country. It doesn’t get
much more “triple bottom line” than this.
As an economic development volunteer, I love looking at
market-based solutions to public health and environmental problems, and this type
of consumer-targeted development is something that I would love to see happen
in Madagascar. And the benefits it would offer ring very clear as I’m currently
studying microeconomics via an online course, with the central question of
whether consumers’ self-interest can be meshed with social interest. In this
case, I think it can: lower prices are a factor of self-interest, and less
trash in the environment is an example of social interest.
Unfortunately, with only 4 months left in my service, it’s
not feasible for me to take on a new project, especially one as large-scale as
this one. But as I think about what I want from my career after Peace Corps,
I’m realizing that this is exactly the type of business that I want to get
involved in. And so who knows, perhaps I’ll be able to work on it as an RPCV!
Now that I’ve become so familiar with this country, I definitely see myself
being drawn to continue working with this island that I will have called home
for 2 years. Whenever I do end up returning to Madagascar, I know for sure that
the sight of all those discarded plastic packets will still bother me, and I’m
pretty sure that I’ll still want to do something about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.