The vacation also means that there’s an influx of new people
in my town who have come to spend their break here, usually visiting relatives.
This can be extremely irritating, because all these visitors haven’t seen me
before, and so I have to be subject to the kind of staring and ‘eoooooo vazaha!’ comments that I got
when I first arrived here. But, it can also be a nice chance to meet some new
people, which is the case with my neighbors’ family members who have come to
visit. Sweet little Sophie, from Tamatave, is visiting my neighbor Marcelline
along with her dad, who has come to buy cloves and coffee. She already knows my
name and loves to come over and visit. And my other neighbor’s daughter (whose
name I still don’t know), visiting from Ranomena, is so kind and lovely. Her
two sons give me big toothy smiles whenever I wave and say hello, and they’ve become
star junior gardeners helping me with my yardwork and gardening projects.
For me, however, it isn’t vacation time—it’s the busiest I
have ever been during my Peace Corps service. My work on the SSI project is in
full swing, and I’ve accomplished more on it in the last 2 months than I did in
the previous eight. In mid-July I organized a training on sustainable clove
cultivation and harvest for myself and four Coldis co-workers. The training was
held in Manakara and was conducted by Christophe, an agriculture technician
with MBG (and also my friend Leo’s counterpart). After receiving that training,
we were able to set up the trainings with the actual farmers, so last week the
five of us spent 4 days in the countryside towns of Masianaka, Matanga, and
Manambondro. We trained a total of 58 farmers, most of whom were presidents of
their farmer groups. (Coldis organizes their farmers into collectives with 10
farmers in each.) And despite the remote locations, I also MacGyver-baked a
gingerbread cake for each of the trainings to share with the farmers, because
most of them have never even tasted food with cloves before. I explained that
it was a traditional Christmas cookie (or cake) in America, but that all the
spices for it are actually grown in Madagascar: cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. I
think it was a nice addition to the training, and judging by the lack of crumbs
left in the pan, I’m pretty sure the farmers enjoyed it.
| Farmers in Masianaka enjoying some cake after the training. |
Each of the farmers
received booklets about sustainable clove farming (which I sweated and stressed
over for months, but finally finished compiling at the end of July), and they
are supposed to share these guides with their other farmers and train them on
what they learned. Farmers that receive the training are then eligible to
receive free zana-kazo jirofo (young
clove trees) to plant, of which we are supposed to distribute 15,000
each year. Recently I realized that simply finding 15,000 clove trees
to buy would be a project in and of itself... not to mention getting them out
to these farmers. So that’s my next hurdle.
| The product of my blood, sweat, and tears. |
The last time I was out in this area was when I visited
Manambondro around July 1st to meet the farmers there and give them
an introduction to the SSI project, and already then the clove trees were
beginning to blossom. But what a difference a month makes: driving around these
countryside roads, in an area which is essentially “clove central”, I saw hundreds
upon hundreds of trees just exploding with buds. It’s also quite different from
a year ago, because cloves are an every-other-year crop—meaning that one year
they’ll be abundant, while the next year, the harvest will be minimal. So
because 2012 was a low year, 2013 should be an abundant harvest. We passed by
kids harvesting the cloves using ingenious homemade bamboo ladders; we also
passed by kids harvesting them the quicker but extremely destructive way, by
just cutting off the branches. Teaching the farmers why this is not a good long-term
harvest strategy (because it reduces the number of cloves the following year)
is one of the tenets of the sustainability training we’re giving.
| Introducing the project to the farmers in Matanga. We held the training at the local elementary school. |
Although Coldis encourages their farmers to leave the cloves
on the tree as long as possible to let them grow to maximum size (and thus be able to sell them for the
best price), many other farmers are already going ahead and harvesting their
trees, probably because they’re in serious need of the money. Right now cloves
are selling for about 14,000 Ariary a kilo—approximately $7, which is a
lifeline for a hungry family. But, the price per kilo should go up later in the
buying season, so many farmers are also holding on to their cloves as long as
they can. The roads in the southeast are now lined with tsihy (woven straw mats) spread with cloves drying in the sun. The ‘raw’
buds are pale green with pink tips, but after three days in the hot Madagascar
sun, they’ll dry to a rich brown color. Driving or biking past these mats of
cloves tickles your nose with their sweet and spicy aroma.
Scheduling and conducting these training sessions was one of
the biggest accomplishments of my Peace Corps service, and something that I was
extremely relieved to have behind me (although I now know we’ll have to
schedule more.) After our final session was over, I drove back to Vangaindrano
with my coworkers feeling relieved and content, and thrilled to be getting back
to my house after four days without electricity or cell phone reception. My
coworker Titus drove us in his car for these trainings, and on the way back we
gave a ride to a local Manambondro woman who was going to Vangaindrano for the
week. Funnily enough, her name turned out to be Emilie—the first namesake I’d
met in Madagascar, which is surprising to me given how many people here have
French names. As we navigated the
muddiest part of the road leading out of Manambondro (during which we got stuck
3 times), we passed through an area called Kidilanitra where a lot of the
Manambondro farmers live. In the dialect of Malagasy spoken in my area, kidy mean “little”, and lanitra means “sky”, so we asked Emilie
why it was named this. She said that it’s because there are so many trees there
that when you look up, the sky is small. Looking out the window at the rows and
rows of pink-tipped clove trees, ravinala palms with their leaves spread like
an open hand, banana trees with their purple-wrapped bunches of fruit hanging
like a necklace, and majestic two-stories-tall lychee and mango trees, I
thought about how much I love being surrounded by all of this green. And it
suddenly hit me that with only about 8 months left in my service, I want to
soak it all in as much as possible. So until April, I’m trying to enjoy and
explore as much of my area as possible. I’ve lived here long enough that
sometimes I forget what a special and beautiful country Madagascar is, and as
much as I love New York, when I’m back there I know I’ll be pining for
afternoons spent in my backyard hammock, lazily reading while a tropical breeze
sweeps over me and into the rice fields below. If I could bottle that feeling,
I would.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.